Hundreds of people have joined a march in the West Bank city of Ramallah to mark this year’s “Nakba” anniversary.
“Nakba” means “Catastrophe” and is the name Palestinians use to refer to the creation of the State of Israel in 1948.
Earlier, clashes erupted after Palestinian protesters gathered close to Bethlehem in the West Bank. Tear gas was fired, as some of the crowd scuffled with Israeli police.
Troops prevented some demonstrators from reaching the Husan checkpoint, from where they said they wanted to reach their ancestral homes in modern-day Israel.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled their homes or were displaced during the war that established the Jewish state.
For more than six decades, Palestinians have maintained that those who were uprooted all have the right to reclaim former properties. Israel rejects the demand.
The fate of Palestinian refugees has loomed large in the failure of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus