Hundreds of people have joined a march in the West Bank city of Ramallah to mark this year’s “Nakba” anniversary.
“Nakba” means “Catastrophe” and is the name Palestinians use to refer to the creation of the State of Israel in 1948.
Earlier, clashes erupted after Palestinian protesters gathered close to Bethlehem in the West Bank. Tear gas was fired, as some of the crowd scuffled with Israeli police.
Troops prevented some demonstrators from reaching the Husan checkpoint, from where they said they wanted to reach their ancestral homes in modern-day Israel.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled their homes or were displaced during the war that established the Jewish state.
For more than six decades, Palestinians have maintained that those who were uprooted all have the right to reclaim former properties. Israel rejects the demand.
The fate of Palestinian refugees has loomed large in the failure of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Philippines: Rodrigo Duterte sworn in as president
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Wires > News
- 10:16 CET Turkish police raid suspected Islamic State cells in Istanbul…
- 10:06 CET Have met all criteria for visa-free travel to Europe – Turkey’s …
- 09:25 CET Beijing slams South China Sea case as court ruling nears
- 08:59 CET Japan says Chinese military activity in East China Sea escalating
- 08:58 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title