15/05/13 06:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has declared a state of emergency in three northeastern states.
More troops have been ordered in following a series of deadly attacks by Islamist militants.
The Boko Haram sect, which is fighting to overthrow the government, is said to have intensified its campaign this month.
A state of emergency has been declared in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.
“The Chief of Defence Staff has been directed to immediately deploy more troops to these states for more effective internal security operations,” said Jonathan.
“The troops and other security agencies involved in these operations have orders to take all necessary action, within the ambit of their rules of engagement, to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists.”
Islamist groups have become the biggest threat to stability in Africa’s second biggest economy and top oil exporter.
Boko Haram fighters freed over 100 prison inmates and left 55 people dead In the town of Bama last week.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Latest world news
Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
Christie and Fiorina pull out of Republican race
London’s Black Cabs protest against Uber
Jailed Spanish puppeteers freed after “glorifying terrorism”
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns patience will run out on Syria
- 11:12 CET Any NATO refugee mission would go after smugglers, U.S.‘s Carter…
- 10:54 CET Auschwitz guard, 94, stands trial in Germany
- 10:51 CET Insight – Nigeria faces new rift over alleged Shi’ite massacre
- 10:41 CET North Korea says South’s pulling out of industrial zone…
- 10:10 CET Indian soldier found alive after six days buried under avalanche…
- 09:53 CET French left-winger Melenchon to run for presidency in upset for…
- 09:40 CET Netherlands to form 300-strong border guard for international…