International donors signed on the dotted line during a conference in Brussels aimed at supporting the development of Mali.
A pledge was made to contribute a little more than 3.25 million euros for the troubled country over the next two years.
The foreign minister of Mali, Tieman Hubert Coulibaly said: “We have a plan in 12 points, including the economy, infrastructure, and social services. We think that extremism and terrorism can only grow where there is ignorance and poverty. “
Ertharin Cousin of the World Food Programme expressed her concern as the money pledged so far is only a quarter of what the nation is looking for.
“The challenge is that there are 300,000 people who are still internally displaced from the north living in the south of Mali, there another in the 175000 living in the surrounding countries and today we are also feeding another 700,000 who are entire need of food assistance.”
The upcoming election is seen as essential to restore democratic rule after the military coup in 2012 that paved the way for Islamist rebels to seize control of the North.
Pascal Canfin, France’s Minister for Development, France stressed this was a central condition: “We really want the election to happen in July the official date is July 28. The financial commitment taken will help move towards democracy.”
Earlier in the week, Mali President Dioncounda Traore pledged that the July election would do ahead as planned.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Austria tops the migrant league
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country