Tonight’s Europa League final in Amsterdam gives Chelsea a chance to crown their already strong finish to the season with a bang and a UEFA cup victory.
It would be some vindication for interim coach Rafael Benitez, deemed not good enough for Chelsea at least by its mercurial owner, yet he has taken the club to the verge of silverware in just a few months. For both manager and players it has been tough.
“We have been playing 68 games now. That means six months playing two games per week at least. So imagine any team in the world doing that. A lot of people say we have the feeling that we have done a good job and hopefully we can do even better,” said Benitez.
Benfica come to Barcelona on the back of six previous European final defeats, the last in 1990, and a crushing last-minute loss to league leaders Porto at the weekend. Yet after a successful four years at the helm coach Jorge Jesus has revived this venerable club and made it a team to be feared again. Benfica will take the game to Chelsea.
“The ideas that we have to put in practice in the match are those that we have been working on throughout the season and it is the same for Chelsea. So there are no excuses, like saying we lacked time to prepare the final,” says Jesus.
On paper Chelsea look too strong and they are the form team, but will Benfica’s hunger to end a long drought of European titles give them the edge? Find out tonight.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 17:58 CET Lotus say Renault is not their only option
- 17:57 CET Oliviera wins Vuelta stage 13, Aru still leads
- 17:56 CET United’s ‘lack of experience’ wrecked De Gea deal – Perez
- 16:30 CET Policeman hurt in clashes before Danube derby in Budapest
- 16:05 CET My discipline may have cost United says Ferguson
- 15:57 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes have a blast at Monza
- 14:49 CET Williams to continue with tyre system despite gaffe
- 14:11 CET Astana team thrown out of anti-doping movement