15/05/13 08:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tonight’s Europa League final in Amsterdam gives Chelsea a chance to crown their already strong finish to the season with a bang and a UEFA cup victory.
It would be some vindication for interim coach Rafael Benitez, deemed not good enough for Chelsea at least by its mercurial owner, yet he has taken the club to the verge of silverware in just a few months. For both manager and players it has been tough.
“We have been playing 68 games now. That means six months playing two games per week at least. So imagine any team in the world doing that. A lot of people say we have the feeling that we have done a good job and hopefully we can do even better,” said Benitez.
Benfica come to Barcelona on the back of six previous European final defeats, the last in 1990, and a crushing last-minute loss to league leaders Porto at the weekend. Yet after a successful four years at the helm coach Jorge Jesus has revived this venerable club and made it a team to be feared again. Benfica will take the game to Chelsea.
“The ideas that we have to put in practice in the match are those that we have been working on throughout the season and it is the same for Chelsea. So there are no excuses, like saying we lacked time to prepare the final,” says Jesus.
On paper Chelsea look too strong and they are the form team, but will Benfica’s hunger to end a long drought of European titles give them the edge? Find out tonight.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
- 5Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Wires > Sport
- 07:18 CET Cricket-India’s Shastri flays pitch critics
- 07:17 CET Local Jones holds off Spieth, Scott to win Australian Open
- 05:21 CET Rum-fuelled Pampling on his way to Troon after course record
- 01:25 CET Briton Fury crowned world champion after beating Klitschko
- 22:29 CET Record for goal-king Vardy as Leicester hold United
- 19:46 CET McClaren feeling the heat after Newcastle ship five at Palace
- 19:36 CET Mercedes seek guidance on partnership agreements
- 17:14 CET Fury in row over ring canvas for Klitschko fight