15/05/13 08:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tonight’s Europa League final in Amsterdam gives Chelsea a chance to crown their already strong finish to the season with a bang and a UEFA cup victory.
It would be some vindication for interim coach Rafael Benitez, deemed not good enough for Chelsea at least by its mercurial owner, yet he has taken the club to the verge of silverware in just a few months. For both manager and players it has been tough.
“We have been playing 68 games now. That means six months playing two games per week at least. So imagine any team in the world doing that. A lot of people say we have the feeling that we have done a good job and hopefully we can do even better,” said Benitez.
Benfica come to Barcelona on the back of six previous European final defeats, the last in 1990, and a crushing last-minute loss to league leaders Porto at the weekend. Yet after a successful four years at the helm coach Jorge Jesus has revived this venerable club and made it a team to be feared again. Benfica will take the game to Chelsea.
“The ideas that we have to put in practice in the match are those that we have been working on throughout the season and it is the same for Chelsea. So there are no excuses, like saying we lacked time to prepare the final,” says Jesus.
On paper Chelsea look too strong and they are the form team, but will Benfica’s hunger to end a long drought of European titles give them the edge? Find out tonight.
- 1European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 2FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
- 3The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 4NBA Western Conference Final: Durant stars as Oklahoma thrash Warriors to lead playoff
- 5Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3World champions Germany and holders Spain name provisional Euro 2016 squads
- 4Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
- 5Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
Wires > Sport
- 01:43 CET Olympic champion Fraser-Pryce to return in Oregon
- 23:52 CET Copa America to use Hawk-Eye for goal-line technology
- 22:38 CET Exclusive – Brazil investigating possible corruption at Olympic…
- 22:06 CET Secret to Zidane’s success is charm, not tactics
- 22:04 CET Atletico fitter and wiser as they plot revenge for Lisbon
- 22:02 CET Ronaldo fit and ready to fire Real to more European glory
- 21:38 CET Close but no cigar for proud Frenchman
- 21:37 CET Spieth welcomes gusting winds forecast at Colonial