Thomas Schaaf is no longer coach at Werder Bremen. After 14 years at the helm, Schaff and Bremen have parted ways by mutual consent, according to a club statement.
His ties with Werder stretch back to 1972, when he joined as an 11-year-old before embarking on a 17-year playing career at the northern German club.
Schaaf took over as head coach in May 1999 after training the club’s youth teams for a decade.
Schaaf was the longest-serving active coach in the Bundesliga.
He led Werder to the 2004 German league and Cup double. The club struggled this season and only secured Bundesliga safety last week.
Assistant coaches Wolfgang Rolff and Matthias Hoenerbach will lead the team for the season finale in Nuremberg on Saturday.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 13:14 CET Hockenheim offers cheaper tickets to entice fans
- 12:29 CET Deep pockets and diplomacy, Korean Chung set for FIFA race
- 10:20 CET Booing of aboriginal athlete sparks heated race debate in Australia
- 10:18 CET Johnson, Rose to light up Hong Kong Open
- 09:59 CET Almaty says not snowed under by issues facing Beijing
- 07:59 CET Japan dismisses plagiarism claims over 2020 logo
- 06:55 CET Kaka leads MLS All-Star side to win over Tottenham
- 05:53 CET Activists aim to derail Beijing’s bid for Winter Olympics