The end of Mancini mood music at Manchester City was sudden and unexpected, at least for the manager, and on the heels of a mind-numbing FA Cup final loss the sacking capped the former champion’s miserable year.
In three and half years the Italian brought three trophies to a City where there had been none for 35 years. The fans loved him; some of his players, managers and officials less so and this year some say his tactics have fallen short of what’s expected, especially in the champion’s league where he has a poor record. City’s Abu Dhabi owners crave European success, and it appears, now they have tasted it in England, that they are impatient to take the club to another level.
Over 400 million euros was spent on players during Mancini’s era, and there is likely to be a huge shakeup at the club on and off the pitch whenever a new man is appointed, but he appears
sure to have plenty of money at his disposal to make changes.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > Sport
- 22:51 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 22:50 CET Atletico sign Argentine forward Vietto from Villarreal
- 22:12 CET Cocktail of talent helps Muguruza reach semis
- 18:58 CET Wimbledon’s famous strawberries now come…as mush
- 17:49 CET Italy’s Balotelli given compassionate leave by Liverpool
- 17:21 CET De Villiers rested for ODI series in Bangladesh
- 16:54 CET British Open likely to flourish even if McIlroy sits it out
- 13:52 CET Ferrer a surprise inclusion for Russia tie