BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Security concerns grow in Libya after deadly Benghazi attack


Libya

Security concerns grow in Libya after deadly Benghazi attack

A car bomb has exploded outside a hospital in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi.

Reports on the number killed vary between three to 15 people. Defence Ministry official Saleh al-Bargathi said that there were 17 wounded, and two children amongst the dead. One doctor said only one of the deceased was carried into the hospital still in one piece.

One restaurant was destroyed and nearby buildings were heavily damaged by the explosion.

So far no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Security remains an issue in post-Gaddafi Libya with a string of attacks across the country in recent weeks.

In April, a car bomb outside the French embassy in the capital, Tripoli, injured two guards.

BP has withdrawn a number of its employees as a precaution.

Militia withdrew on Sunday, ending a two-week long siege of ministries in the capital. They were hoping to pressure lawmakers into passing legislation banning anyone who held a senior post under former leader Muammar Gaddafi from the new government. Parliament bowed to the pressure. Justice Minister Salah Marghani denied any deal had been made with the gunmen.

More than 18 months after the uprising against Gaddafi, new leaders are struggling to impose authority in a country flooded with weapons.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Car bomb explodes outside Benghazi hospital in Libya