Two women and a 12-year-old child are dead following a fire at a squat in Lyon where Roma people had been living.
Around 200 Roma gypsies had made the disused factory their home.
The blaze on Sunday night is believed to have been started by a candle.
Electricity had been cut off in anticipation of people being removed from the squat on Wednesday.
Justice Minister Christiane Taubira and Interior Minister Manuel Valls have visited the burned out squat, where Valls said: “It’s very sad. But at the same time, these squats, these improvised camps, must always be evacuated because they always represent a real danger”.
It took 70 officers to tackle the flames, but they were unable to fully-explore the building after the first and second floor collapsed. Dogs have been brought in to search for more victims.