Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak has been back in court for a retrial on charges of complicity in the murder of protesters.
Although convicted and sentenced to life in prison last June, a court ordered a second trial due to a weakness in prosecution evidence.
Out side fewer people turned up than security officers had been expecting, reflecting a frustration with the effectiveness of the justice system.
“ I think the court will never take any decision in the cases of killing the martyrs of the revolution, or stealing the people’s money and wealth, I am not optimistic,” said victim lawyer Naser Askalani.
Mubarak and his former interior minister and four former aides are accused of involvement in the killing of more than 800 protesters in the 2011 uprising.
“Hosni Mubarak should be executed in Tahrir Square, because he caused the loss of so many young people’s lives and he and his thieving colleagues looted the country,” said one angry Mubarak opponent.
But for many Mubarak loyalists his trial is a travesty and his ousting has just brought in instability and a ruined economy.
“He sacrificed his age and thirty years of rule for us, he did not take anything and then they threw him behind bars. It’s not right because he is a symbol of Egypt.”
Reporting for euronews, Correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim said:
“ A second trial of the century gives a kind of satisfaction among Mubarak supporters but increases anxiety among his opponents that he may be declared innocent… While the average Egyptian on the street just wants the issue to be resolved as soon as possible because they are afraid the case will die and the truth be lost with it.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
US: Rubio under fire from rivals during Republican presidential debate
Haiti leaders clinch last-minute deal to form interim government
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
North Korea launches rocket, defying international warnings
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Algerian lawmakers pass reforms boosting parliament powers
- 13:36 CET Several dual citizens in Iran face espionage charges – official
- 13:16 CET In Aleppo, underground schools face bombardments and burnout
- 13:02 CET Air strike kills mother and child in Libya’s Derna – witness
- 12:31 CET South Africa won’t declare national disaster over drought
- 12:04 CET UAE says ready to send ground troops to Syria
- 11:27 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 10:16 CET Australia pledges aid to help Tonga, Pacific with Zika