11/05/13 00:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Zaatari refugee camp on the Syria, Jordan border….it’s where some 120,000 Syrians who have fled the conflict, currently call home.
Among them are between three to five thousands pregnant women all seeking pre-natal care.
Francis Colasson, who is head of the mission says his rotating team of two doctors, four midwives and a logistical assistant delivers up to ten babies a day. What made them all come to Zaatari?
“Firstly, because it’s real medicine. It’s real human medicine. And in the context of a war, which is something that we don’t normally deal with. It’s an extraordinary human experience, but also an interesting professional one. The problem is that the budgets are so limited and we are doing this job with very few resources but we are doing the best we can.”
Rasha who is a mother of three from Jasin, near the Syrian city of Deraa, came to Zaatari 40 days ago. She gave birth to her daughter Leel earlier this week. Today she is back at the French clinic as Leel is showing signs of dehydration.
“At this clinic the medical facilities are not bad,” said the young mother. “The doctors take good care of us and hopefully they always will do. They are all so willing to become involved and are interested.
It’s much better here than in Syria. The midwives are wonderful – I have never received such attention.
I hope things get better eventually back home ..but my fear is that even if we stay here or we go back things are still going to be difficult for us.”
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba
- 01:02 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 00:02 CET ‘No Bashar al-Assad in the future’, says Saudi foreign minister -…
- 23:37 CET U.S. okays sale of 8 Lockheed F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan -…
- 21:53 CET Divisive politics return as India’s Modi eyes make-or-break state…