British yacht-racing champion Andrew Simpson has died in an accident on training day for the America’s Cup in San Francisco Bay.
Thirty-six-year-old Simpson had been sailing on the Artemis, Sweden’s entry, when it capsized.
He had been one of an 11-member crew on board the catamaran. All of his colleagues were rescued and transferred to a support boat but Simpson was apparently trapped under the vessel.
Doctors afloat with the team tried unsuccessfully to revive the British sailor after he was freed from the wreckage.
It is not yet clear what caused the boat to capsize in the first place.
It is believed to be the second time a sailor has died during training for the race – in 1999, Martin Wizner of the Spanish Challenge was fatally injured after being struck on the head by a broken piece of equipment.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 3Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 4Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 5Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 3Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 17HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 18NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:12 CET South Korea’s Park fails doping test
- 20:06 CET New Ferrari F1 car takes SF15-T designation
- 19:21 CET Armstrong would race clean now but not in 1995
- 19:03 CET Gifted, controversial Riquelme retires
- 17:01 CET Out of Africa and ready to roll on Le Tour
- 16:53 CET Man United sign Swissquote as forex trading sponsor
- 16:08 CET South Korea coach starts mind games with Australia at Asian Cup
- 15:48 CET Chicago sign Scotland winger Maloney