British yacht-racing champion Andrew Simpson has died in an accident on training day for the America’s Cup in San Francisco Bay.
Thirty-six-year-old Simpson had been sailing on the Artemis, Sweden’s entry, when it capsized.
He had been one of an 11-member crew on board the catamaran. All of his colleagues were rescued and transferred to a support boat but Simpson was apparently trapped under the vessel.
Doctors afloat with the team tried unsuccessfully to revive the British sailor after he was freed from the wreckage.
It is not yet clear what caused the boat to capsize in the first place.
It is believed to be the second time a sailor has died during training for the race – in 1999, Martin Wizner of the Spanish Challenge was fatally injured after being struck on the head by a broken piece of equipment.
- 1Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 2Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 3At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 4Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGOs
- 5Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 14:58 CET Arteta may make FA Cup final, says Wenger
- 14:28 CET Blatter misled us all, says Platini
- 13:57 CET Bayliss set to become England coach – report
- 13:30 CET Berdych storms into French Open second round
- 13:28 CET Sheffield United sack Clough
- 11:33 CET Badminton joins SportAccord exodus over IOC attack
- 08:31 CET History repeats for outgoing Stuttgart rescuer Stevens
- 03:48 CET Australia name strong squad for first World Cup qualifier