British yacht-racing champion Andrew Simpson has died in an accident on training day for the America’s Cup in San Francisco Bay.
Thirty-six-year-old Simpson had been sailing on the Artemis, Sweden’s entry, when it capsized.
He had been one of an 11-member crew on board the catamaran. All of his colleagues were rescued and transferred to a support boat but Simpson was apparently trapped under the vessel.
Doctors afloat with the team tried unsuccessfully to revive the British sailor after he was freed from the wreckage.
It is not yet clear what caused the boat to capsize in the first place.
It is believed to be the second time a sailor has died during training for the race – in 1999, Martin Wizner of the Spanish Challenge was fatally injured after being struck on the head by a broken piece of equipment.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > News
- 13:14 CET Hockenheim offers cheaper tickets to entice fans
- 12:29 CET Deep pockets and diplomacy, Korean Chung set for FIFA race
- 10:20 CET Booing of aboriginal athlete sparks heated race debate in Australia
- 10:18 CET Johnson, Rose to light up Hong Kong Open
- 09:59 CET Almaty says not snowed under by issues facing Beijing
- 07:59 CET Japan dismisses plagiarism claims over 2020 logo
- 06:55 CET Kaka leads MLS All-Star side to win over Tottenham
- 05:53 CET Activists aim to derail Beijing’s bid for Winter Olympics