British yacht-racing champion Andrew Simpson has died in an accident on training day for the America’s Cup in San Francisco Bay.
Thirty-six-year-old Simpson had been sailing on the Artemis, Sweden’s entry, when it capsized.
He had been one of an 11-member crew on board the catamaran. All of his colleagues were rescued and transferred to a support boat but Simpson was apparently trapped under the vessel.
Doctors afloat with the team tried unsuccessfully to revive the British sailor after he was freed from the wreckage.
It is not yet clear what caused the boat to capsize in the first place.
It is believed to be the second time a sailor has died during training for the race – in 1999, Martin Wizner of the Spanish Challenge was fatally injured after being struck on the head by a broken piece of equipment.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Orange alert: Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption
- 2Islamic State militants threaten US over air strikes in Iraq
- 3Missing Liberian Ebola patients found as ZMapp raises hope of a cure
- 4Donetsk rebels stand firm as Kyiv blames them for the continuing violence
- 5Ukrainian army enters Luhansk in heavy fighting
- 1Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Putin says Moscow does not want war or confrontation
- 4Orange alert: Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption
- 5Ukraine’s aid reaches east as Russian convoy remains stalled
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 12Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 16Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 17EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 21:49 CET Broad to undergo knee surgery
- 21:41 CET ‘No green jacket for you’, a teasing Woods tells McIlroy
- 20:54 CET Manchester United confirm signing of Rojo from Sporting
- 20:31 CET Bolt wants roof over his head for Polish race
- 19:40 CET Fire damages Nigeria Football Federation office
- 19:39 CET Dzeko signs new four-year deal at Man City
- 19:21 CET QPR sign Dutch international Fer
- 19:13 CET Switzerland keeper Benaglio quits international football