British yacht-racing champion Andrew Simpson has died in an accident on training day for the America’s Cup in San Francisco Bay.
Thirty-six-year-old Simpson had been sailing on the Artemis, Sweden’s entry, when it capsized.
He had been one of an 11-member crew on board the catamaran. All of his colleagues were rescued and transferred to a support boat but Simpson was apparently trapped under the vessel.
Doctors afloat with the team tried unsuccessfully to revive the British sailor after he was freed from the wreckage.
It is not yet clear what caused the boat to capsize in the first place.
It is believed to be the second time a sailor has died during training for the race – in 1999, Martin Wizner of the Spanish Challenge was fatally injured after being struck on the head by a broken piece of equipment.
- 1Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 2Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 3Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 4YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 5ISIL training children to kill
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 23:10 CET Bosnia win thriller in Nicosia to make playoffs
- 23:09 CET Turkey beat Iceland to secure Euro 2016 spot
- 23:07 CET Ramsey and Bale goals give Wales winning send-off
- 22:52 CET Dutch fail to qualify for Euro 2016 as Czechs top group
- 22:38 CET Netherlands fail to qualify for Euro 2016
- 22:30 CET Ireland flanker O’Brien banned for Argentina game
- 20:26 CET Europe’s loyalty to Platini faces ultimate test
- 19:47 CET Sunderland’s Allardyce wants better record in north-east