More 50 fifty people were killed in the north-eastern Nigerian town of Bama on May 7. The army suspects the attacks were carried out by Islamist militants Boko Haram.
Around 200 heavily-armed assailants stormed an army barracks, a police station and a jail, freeing more than 100 prisoners.
In a separate incident on May 9, more than 40 police officers were killed in an ambush in the central state of Nassarawa. The governor believes a local gang could be behind the attack.
Human rights groups suggest that tribal loyalties are at the root of Nigeria’s lack of stability.
Lawyer and human rights activist Ememanka Onyebuchi said: “People are more inclined to identify with their tribal blocks than with the country as a whole, and that is one of the tragedies of this nation.”
Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan cut short a trip abroad on May 9 – to return home in the wake of this week’s violence.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees