08/05/13 00:48 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Police have been searching a house in the US state of Ohio which three women escaped from after vanishing around a decade ago.
Pictures have also been released of brothers Ariel, Pedro and Onil Castro who have been arrested in connection with the case.
Authorities are trying to work out how the women could have been held captive for so long in the city of Cleveland without anyone noticing.
“The nightmare is over. These three young ladies have provided us with the ultimate definition of survival and perseverance,” said Steve Anthony, an FBI special agent.
“The families of these three young ladies never gave up hope and neither did law enforcement. As you can imagine words can’t describe the emotions being felt by all. Yes, law enforcement professionals do cry,” he continued.
Missing since she was 16, Amanda Berry embraced her sister during an emotional reunion. Gina deJesus and Michelle Knight are also now safe and well.
Rescued with them on Monday was a six-year-old girl who police say was Berry’s daughter.
While jubilant about their rescue, the community now wants answers. Neighbours said they had made more than one call to police about suspicious activity at the house.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes