08/05/13 00:48 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Police have been searching a house in the US state of Ohio which three women escaped from after vanishing around a decade ago.
Pictures have also been released of brothers Ariel, Pedro and Onil Castro who have been arrested in connection with the case.
Authorities are trying to work out how the women could have been held captive for so long in the city of Cleveland without anyone noticing.
“The nightmare is over. These three young ladies have provided us with the ultimate definition of survival and perseverance,” said Steve Anthony, an FBI special agent.
“The families of these three young ladies never gave up hope and neither did law enforcement. As you can imagine words can’t describe the emotions being felt by all. Yes, law enforcement professionals do cry,” he continued.
Missing since she was 16, Amanda Berry embraced her sister during an emotional reunion. Gina deJesus and Michelle Knight are also now safe and well.
Rescued with them on Monday was a six-year-old girl who police say was Berry’s daughter.
While jubilant about their rescue, the community now wants answers. Neighbours said they had made more than one call to police about suspicious activity at the house.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
- 5All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
EU and Turkey agree on a 3-billion euro plan to confront the flows of refugees into Europe
‘Save our planet’ say demonstrators worldwide on eve of UN climate summit
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Wires > News
- 23:54 CET Bosnian Serbs dismiss top court’s order to change discriminatory…
- 22:59 CET France calls for ‘enlightened Islam’ against jihadist ideology
- 21:19 CET Mourners at funeral of Kurdish lawyer cast doubt over justice
- 21:05 CET Israel suspends EU role in peace process with Palestinians
- 21:01 CET U.S. senators call for 20,000 troops in Syria and Iraq
- 20:31 CET German police tackle mass brawl at Berlin refugee shelter
- 19:48 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 19:29 CET Russian air strikes kill at least 30 in stepped up raids in…