08/05/13 11:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Rescue workers in the Italian port of Genoa are looking for six people missing after a container ship rammed into a control tower, which then collapsed.
Two coastguard officials and a pilot for the port were killed. Four people were injured.
It is thought others may have been trapped in a lift and fallen into the water.
Staff were changing shifts at the time so more people than usual were in the tower.
“The main injuries are obviously broken bones, injuries due to crushing, a serious chest injury… the wounded have been evacuated on “red alert” to hospitals in Genoa,” said Andrea Furgani, a doctor working with the emergency services.
“Of the six who are missing there is a very low probability that any are in this part of the building and not in the part which fell into the water,” said fire brigade spokeswoman Alessandra D’Errico.
The control tower was more than 50 metres high. The container ship that struck it, the Jolly Nero, is more than 200 metres long and weighs over 40,000 tonnes.
Amid the rescue operation during the night a call went out from a mobile under the debris but it was interrupted before it could be traced.
An investigation has been opened into the cause of the accident.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 22:41 CET Suspect in Colorado clinic shooting had past brushes with the law
- 22:12 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 22:00 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 21:21 CET Putin, citing national security, signs Turkey sanctions decree
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group
- 19:59 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks