08/05/13 11:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Rescue workers in the Italian port of Genoa are looking for six people missing after a container ship rammed into a control tower, which then collapsed.
Two coastguard officials and a pilot for the port were killed. Four people were injured.
It is thought others may have been trapped in a lift and fallen into the water.
Staff were changing shifts at the time so more people than usual were in the tower.
“The main injuries are obviously broken bones, injuries due to crushing, a serious chest injury… the wounded have been evacuated on “red alert” to hospitals in Genoa,” said Andrea Furgani, a doctor working with the emergency services.
“Of the six who are missing there is a very low probability that any are in this part of the building and not in the part which fell into the water,” said fire brigade spokeswoman Alessandra D’Errico.
The control tower was more than 50 metres high. The container ship that struck it, the Jolly Nero, is more than 200 metres long and weighs over 40,000 tonnes.
Amid the rescue operation during the night a call went out from a mobile under the debris but it was interrupted before it could be traced.
An investigation has been opened into the cause of the accident.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Latest world news
Zika virus: Colombian doctors report hike in rare nerve disorder cases
Warm welcome for Pope Francis as he kicks off Mexico visit
Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
Cameron meets Merkel in last pre-summit referendum talks
Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
Wires > News
- 11:34 CET Red Cross delivers medical aid to Taiz, says ‘breakthrough’ in…
- 11:22 CET Guillain-Barre on rise in five Latam countries, no proven link to…
- 10:23 CET Former Indian PM Singh says Modi government failing to boost…
- 10:17 CET French PM says Russia must stop bombing of civilians in Syria
- 08:59 CET Central Asia’s tallest tower, being built in Kazakhstan, hit by…
- 08:40 CET Myanmar army chief to get five year extension as talks with Suu…
- 08:16 CET Australian PM in second revamp of ministry ahead of elections
- 06:58 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…