Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were released from a decade of captivity in the US city of Ohio – after Amanda made a desperate bid for freedom.
She screamed at the locked door of the house in which they were held – alerting neighbour Charles Ramsey who helped her break down the door.
Amanda then called the emergency services on 911.
Amanda Berry: “Help me, I’m Amanda Berry.”
911 Operator: “Do you need police, fire or ambulance?”
Amanda Berry: “I need police.”
911 Operator: “OK, and what’s going on there?”
Amanda Berry: “I’ve been kidnapped and I’ve been missing for 10 years and I’m here, I’m free now.”
Amanda was able to make that call after neighbour Charles Ramsey helped her to get out of the house.
Ramsey described what happened: “I see this girl going nuts, trying to get out of the house. So I go on the porch, I go on the porch, and she says, ‘Help me get out, I been here a long time’.
“So, I figure, you know, it’s a domestic violence dispute. So I opened the door and we can’t get in that way because of how the door is, it’s so much that a body can’t fit through, only our hand. So we kicked the bottom and she comes out with the little girl and she says, ‘Call 911’,” Ramsey continued.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…
- 17:26 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:59 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 16:52 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 16:52 CET German police investigate Britons’ Nazi salute at death camp
- 16:48 CET Muslims attack Christians in south Egypt after rumoured affair
- 16:47 CET Ukraine bans Gorbachev over support for Crimea annexation
- 16:36 CET Turkish writer quits UNESCO to protest damage to heritage, rights…