07/05/13 08:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In the United States, three young women who have been missing for more than a decade have been found alive.
Amanda Berry and Gina De Jesus were teenagers when they disappeared within a year of each other in Cleveland, Ohio.
Police also found Michelle Knight who was 20-years old when she vanished.
A neighbour, Charles Ramsey, who helped them escape said one had a child: “I see this girl going nuts trying to get outside,” he said, adding that he was astonished when she identified herself.
“Then I realized I’m calling 911 for Amanda Berry. I thought that girl was dead,” he said. He said Berry had emerged from the house “with a little girl.”
Relatives have expressed their shock and surprise that the women were found in a house a few blocks away from where they had been abducted.
All three women are being treated in a local hospital and are said to be “safe” and “in a fair condition.”
Three brothers, who are all in their fifties, are now in police custody. It is believed one of them lived in the house from which the women escaped.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Wires > News
- 12:50 CET Polish minister says looking for solutions to constitutional row
- 12:44 CET Jailed Ukraine pilot heads home under prisoner swap with Russia -…
- 12:39 CET Slovakia nominates foreign minister Lajcak for …
- 12:36 CET Afghan Taliban appoint a new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 12:15 CET Swedish PM reshuffles cabinet, Green’s Lovin new deputy
- 12:15 CET Germany, France hold back NATO, EU ambitions in Libya
- 12:11 CET Iran-Saudi row threatens any OPEC deal, puts role in question
- 11:56 CET Swedish court upholds Assange arrest warrant