07/05/13 10:58 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A volcano has erupted in the Philippines, killing five people from a tour group climbing the mountain. Four of the victims are said to be German, the fifth is a Filipino guide.
Seven others were injured when Mount Mayon, one of the most active volcanoes in the country, sent a cloud of ash and rocks hundreds of metres into the sky in an eruption that lasted just over a minute.
The authorities say 27 hikers were on the volcano at the time. One said it suddenly started “raining rocks, like in hell”. A local guide later described how the victims were killed or hurt by rocks that fell from the ash cloud.
The level of alert has not been raised as the volcano’s activity has not intensified.
Although the surrounding area has been covered in ash there are no plans to evacuate nearby houses.
The Philippines Institute of Vulcanology and Seismology said in a statement that a small “phreatic event”, lasting 73 seconds, sent ash 500 metres into the air.
Mount Mayon has erupted nearly 50 times since records began 400 years ago. In December 2009, tens of thousands of residents left their homes when the volcano began spouting ash and lava. The most deadly eruption on record occurred in 1814, when more than one thousand people were killed.
- 1Turkish forces attack Syrian and Kurdish positions in northern Syria
- 2Exclusive: Syria would be ‘chaos’ if Assad ousted, says Medvedev
- 3Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 4Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 5Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 3Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
Latest world news
Skiving worker ordered to pay 27,000 euros to Spanish employer
Russia and US to boost cooperation to implement Syria ceasefire deal, says Kremlin
Turkish military shells Kurdish-backed positions in Syria for second day
British indie band members reported killed in Sweden car crash
Belgian romantics take plunge in sea to celebrate Valentine’s weekend
Wires > News
- 16:42 CET Pope to pray for one of Mexico’s poorest, most violent cities
- 16:39 CET Republicans gear up for U.S. Supreme Court battle after Scalia’s…
- 16:26 CET Obama to Putin: cease air campaign on moderate Syrian opposition -…
- 16:18 CET France’s Sarkozy urges party unity, lags behind popular rival
- 15:46 CET Greek authorities arrest three Iraqi Kurds with guns, ammunition
- 15:08 CET Turkey shells Syrian Kurds, Russia says will keep bombing…
- 14:37 CET Nigerian Boko Haram fighters trained in Somalia – president
- 14:25 CET Israel says its forces shot dead three Palestinian assailants