07/05/13 12:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
China is spying on the United States to fuel its fast-paced military modernisation programme, according to the Pentagon.
It is the first time Washington has directly accused Beijing of mounting a cyber-espionage campaign.
The US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, David Helvey, said: “China’s military continues to explore the role of military operations in cyberspace as a feature of modern warfare. In addition, in 2012, numerous computer systems around the world, including those owned by the United States government, continued to be targeted for intrusions, some of which appear to be attributable directly to China’s government and military organisations.”
The Pentagon also cited progress in Beijing’s effort to develop advanced-technology stealth aircraft and build an aircraft carrier fleet to project power further offshore.
China has dismissed the report as groundless.
The U.S. Defense Department had repeatedly “made irresponsible comments about China’s normal and justified defense build-up and hyped up the so-called China military threat,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 15:06 CET U.S. says it, allies to do more to combat Islamic State
- 15:05 CET EU proposes scheme to share out asylum seekers
- 14:57 CET Wildfire destroys homes in Canadian city; delays hit evacuation
- 14:54 CET South Africa’s EFF party ejected from parliament ahead of Zuma…
- 14:44 CET Beijing’s top paper reminds Taiwan’s new leader there’s just ‘one…
- 14:39 CET Syria withholds aid to 900,000, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 14:23 CET Russia says will respond to NATO deployment in Poland, Baltics
- 14:10 CET Turkey’s pro-Kurdish opposition says lifting immunity will bring…