07/05/13 14:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There is shock and delight in the US state of Ohio – where three women who disappeared a decade ago have been found alive at a Cleveland house.
Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina deJesus, who all disappeared in separate incidents in the local area, were found after Amanda managed to free herself from the house with the help of a neighbour.
The three women were released, along with a six-year-old girl, on May 6.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath said: “To find these three girls recovered, well, it is really for the police department – it just gives us a boost. Thankfully, and I mean thankfully, due to Amanda’s brave actions, these three women are alive today.”
Amanda identified school bus driver 52-year-old Ariel Castro, who owned the house in which the women were found, as one of their captors.
Police have arrested Castro and his brothers Pedro and Onil in connection with the case.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Wires > News
- 12:50 CET Polish minister says looking for solutions to constitutional row
- 12:44 CET Jailed Ukraine pilot heads home under prisoner swap with Russia -…
- 12:39 CET Slovakia nominates foreign minister Lajcak for …
- 12:36 CET Afghan Taliban appoint a new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 12:15 CET Swedish PM reshuffles cabinet, Green’s Lovin new deputy
- 12:15 CET Germany, France hold back NATO, EU ambitions in Libya
- 12:11 CET Iran-Saudi row threatens any OPEC deal, puts role in question
- 11:56 CET Swedish court upholds Assange arrest warrant