Paris’ Opera Garnier has asked Belgian choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui to produce a new version of Ravel’s Bolero, which was first performed there in 1928.
Choreographer Damien Jalet and Serbian performance artist Marina Abramovic worked with him.
“Bolero, for me, is about energy, electric energy. That’s why I was thinking: how can I transmit this in scenography? How can I have an idea to make the public feel the same? And then I took something very simple: static electricity from a TV set,” said Marina Abramovic.
Damien Jalet added: “I think here is something very obsessive about the Bolero, with the repetition of a theme that grows and grows during 15 minutes. At the time, it was a very avant-garde piece, that has had a strong influence on minimal music, like Steve Reich and many others, as well as the techno movement. And, I think that working in such an obsessive way with the dancers on this idea of rotation has a lot to do, in a certain way, with performance art and with what Marina is looking for in her work.”
“It is so difficult to get everything right: the right light, the right scenography, the right dance, the right music and then the energy of the dancers,” said Marina. “It’s like you’re making a good soup. I think we made good soup.”
The new Bolero runs at the Opera Garnier in Paris until June 3.
- 1‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 2Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 3Gender bending Japanese makeup ad wins top EPICA prize
- 4Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 5Forgotten gems from Wexford Opera Festival
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3International news | euronews, latest international news
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Latest sport news
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad