Director Rama Burshtein has made her debut film about a subject close to her heart – the Orthodox Hassidic community in Tel Aviv.
Fill The Void is about a young woman who comes under immense family pressure to marry her dead sister’s husband after tragedy strikes the family.
Rama Burshtein explained how the idea came about.
“A young girl came up to us. She was very beautiful. She was wearing a lot of jewelry which means she just got engaged. My friend was congratulating her in a very weird way. When she went away she said, ‘See her? She’s about to marry her late sister’s husband.’ That really blew me away.”
The movie received critical acclaim at the Venice Film Festival, including Best Actress for Hadas Yaron. It also won seven Ophir Awards, which are Israel’s equivalent to the Oscars.
Burshtein herself became deeply religious later in life and after she graduated from film school she decided to combine the two aspects.
She said: “I was not always religious and I was studying film in a good film school so I brought all the tools inside, and religious people, they don’t go to film school, so they won’t make films. So I think it’s a first, because of that it is so special because it’s an inside look. It’s not someone from the outside trying to interpret a world.”
Fill The Void is on general release in France, Belgium and the Netherlands.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections