07/05/13 17:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The registration process has opened in Iran for candidates to succeed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in next month’s presidential election.
Reports say more conservatives than reformists have put themselves forward.
Most candidates are thought to want to defuse tensions with the West and a change from Ahmadinejad’s confrontational style.
Hasan Rowhani, a former nuclear negotiator and an advisor to former President Rafsanjani, is among the frontrunners.
“By forming a government of prudence and hope, I want to save the economy, re-establish morality in society and have constructive interaction with the world, and present honesty and righteousness to the people,” Rowhani said.
The candidates have five days to declare their intention to stand. Iran’s Guardian Council will then decide whether they can.
President Ahmadinejad is prevented by the constitution from running for a third term.
His controversial re-election four years ago prompted major unrest. The leaders of the reform movement from that time remain under house arrest.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fears that Zika virus could be linked to rare nerve disorder
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Taiwan: Multiple buildings collapse after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 01:03 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment tower, two reported killed so far
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 00:12 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…
- 23:49 CET Guinea journalist killed in clashes between opposition factions
- 23:19 CET U.S., Britain eye letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat…
- 23:13 CET Anti-Nazi centre urges dismissal of Croatia’s culture minister