The European Commission wants to tighten food labelling rules in the wake of the recent horsemeat scandal.
The issue came to light in January when it emerged that beef-labelled products contained traces of horsemeat.
Under the proposal, all future testing of food will be mandatory and conducted without any prior warning.
“The legislation that we are now proposing as Commission is that official controls should always be unannounced in order to strengthen our tools to fight fraud,” said Tonio Borg, the EU health commissioner.
Random tests carried out in April found less than five percent of the more than 7,000 beef samples inspected contained horsemeat.
The EU’s executive also suggests confiscating any profits from those who sell fraudulently labelled food.
Its proposed legislation will have to be approved by MEPs and EU leaders before it can be implemented in each country of the European Union.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid