Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova recovered from a slow start to beat Spain’s Carla Suarez Navarro in the final of the Portugal Open on Saturday and claim her first title under new coach – five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis.
After dropping an early service game the 19th ranked Russian soon found herself trailing her opponent 2-4 in the first but as nerves suddenly got the better of Suarez Navarro, Pavlyuchenkova picked up her game to win it 7-5.
The Moscow native then ran away with the match comfortably winning the second set 6-2 for her fifth career title and second of the season after victory in Mexico last month.
Suarez Navarro meanwhile was left suffering her second consecutive defeat in the final of the Portuguese clay court event after also losing last year’s showpiece match against Kaia Kanepi.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > Sport
- 20:43 CET Inter sign Brazil defender Miranda from Atletico
- 20:30 CET Argentina odds-on favourites to lift Copa America
- 20:00 CET Uruguay’s Coates completes permanent Sunderland move
- 19:53 CET Swansea sign Portugal forward Eder
- 19:37 CET Gundogan extends Borussia Dortmund contract
- 19:31 CET Sweden’s Under-21s show there’ll be life after Zlatan
- 17:00 CET F1 fans want change without gimmicks, survey shows
- 16:41 CET Rashid, Finn in England squad for first Ashes test