Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova recovered from a slow start to beat Spain’s Carla Suarez Navarro in the final of the Portugal Open on Saturday and claim her first title under new coach – five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis.
After dropping an early service game the 19th ranked Russian soon found herself trailing her opponent 2-4 in the first but as nerves suddenly got the better of Suarez Navarro, Pavlyuchenkova picked up her game to win it 7-5.
The Moscow native then ran away with the match comfortably winning the second set 6-2 for her fifth career title and second of the season after victory in Mexico last month.
Suarez Navarro meanwhile was left suffering her second consecutive defeat in the final of the Portuguese clay court event after also losing last year’s showpiece match against Kaia Kanepi.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2The motorsport world mourns the death of Jules Bianchi
- 3Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 7Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 8Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 01:23 CET U.S. drops Boston’s embattled bid to host 2024 Olympic Games
- 22:58 CET Barca, Bilbao face fines for politically-motivated whistles
- 21:46 CET Ex Chelsea striker Drogba joins Montreal Impact
- 20:36 CET People like Blatter deserve Nobel prize, Putin tells Swiss TV
- 20:22 CET FIFA says person ‘from outside football’ to head reforms body
- 20:13 CET Stoke sign Dutch winger Afellay
- 18:31 CET Sterling nets twice as Man City thump Vietnam 8-1
- 18:28 CET Van Gaal seeking galactico touch for resurgent United