A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > Sport
- 12:37 CET Goalkeeper Butland urges Stoke team mates to arrest slump
- 12:34 CET Sissoko tips Shelvey to fill void left by Cabaye at Newcastle
- 12:30 CET Genoa’s Pavoletti out for up to six weeks
- 12:13 CET Ireland’s O’Connell hangs up his boots for good
- 12:04 CET Nadal to warm up for Wimbledon at Queen’s Club
- 12:03 CET Memphis not to blame for Chelsea draw, says Rooney
- 10:18 CET Kenya could pull out of Rio Olympics due to Zika concerns -…
- 09:47 CET Chelsea must reach FA Cup or Champions League final – Courtois