A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:19 CET China shooters disqualified, reinstated, set world record
- 04:38 CET All Blacks’ Cruden misses plane after boozy night
- 00:23 CET Messi and Barca put on five-star show in Levante mauling
- 21:09 CET Police probe racist tweets to Balotelli
- 21:04 CET Pellegrini criticises Chelsea’s small team mentality
- 20:59 CET Lampard goal, United defeat highlight astonishing day
- 19:54 CET Rodriguez magic helps Wolfsburg crush Leverkusen 4-1
- 17:47 CET Florenzi booked for hugging grandmother as Roma win again