A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
- 1Usain Bolt felled by cameraman on segway
- 2Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
- 3Messi named Europe’s best player
- 4Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
- 5Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Wires > Sport
- 13:21 CET Colombia drop Falcao, Cuadrado for Peru friendly in U.S
- 12:59 CET Soccer-Brighton sign Dutch winger Manu
- 08:51 CET Soldado back among the goals on La Liga return
- 08:40 CET Toth strolls to victory at world championships
- 08:38 CET Giteau hopes Burgess is off-key as Wallabies depart
- 08:08 CET Atletico agree to sign Argentina midfielder Kranevitter
- 05:11 CET French qualifier Herbert maintains marathon run
- 04:21 CET Czech mates Kvitova, Safarova in New Haven final