A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
- 3Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
- 4World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
- 5Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Clipper Round the World Yacht Race: LMAX wins stage three
Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
IAAF president Coe quits Nike role amid conflict of interest claims
Jeju Grand Prix: Galbadrakh strikes maiden gold
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Wires > Sport
- 04:18 CET New Zealand win toss, to bat first in maiden day-night test
- 02:33 CET IAAF sends media to tradesman’s entrance
- 00:48 CET Spurs, Liverpool and Bilbao through, Dnipro out
- 23:30 CET Alonso more of a challenge than Hamilton was – Button
- 21:40 CET Brilliant Billings fires England to opening win
- 21:39 CET No timescale on Russia return, says IAAF head Coe
- 21:02 CET American Eaton takes top male award for 2015
- 21:00 CET Muguruza relishing night matches on grass in Mallorca