A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
Wires > Sport
- 01:29 CET Australia’s Hunt on Reds bench in comeback after drug ban
- 01:27 CET Mission Hills fan Lewis targets a third major win
- 23:58 CET Korean Park back at happy hunting ground
- 21:41 CET Minister urges Sangakkara to continue for another year
- 21:00 CET Real Madrid defender Pepe sidelined by thigh injury
- 20:14 CET I’m no money-grabber, says Liverpool’s Sterling
- 19:35 CET U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018
- 19:08 CET Cook seeks to compete for Moldova after Team GB snub