A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 3Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 4‘The Corner’ an Italian hero, zero, hero and woe in Warsaw for Germany
- 5UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 19:16 CET Galatasaray, Basel fined over crowd trouble
- 18:58 CET Brawn and Domenicali on Bianchi accident panel
- 18:03 CET Ronaldinho lacked professionalism, says former manager
- 17:39 CET Lampard ruled out of Man City’s clash in Moscow
- 17:12 CET Williams, Halep enjoy opening wins at WTA Finals
- 16:39 CET I’m now showing Brazil form with Barca, says Neymar
- 14:50 CET Bale doubtful for Real’s Liverpool clash
- 14:29 CET Costa ruled out of Maribor clash as injuries hit Chelsea