A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 17:49 CET Villarreal beat Deportivo 3-0 with Vietto double
- 16:22 CET Marseille head into break as leaders after beating Lille
- 15:25 CET Analysis – Club World Cup still a hit outside Europe
- 14:56 CET FIFA official says England had best bid for 2018 World Cup
- 14:23 CET Alpine skiing – Vonn will have to wait until 2015 for record
- 13:43 CET Independent panels lack consistency, says Mourinho
- 13:33 CET Afridi to retire from ODIs after World Cup
- 12:48 CET Boxing great Muhammad Ali hospitalised with pneumonia