A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
- 1Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 2Leicester City win Premier League after Tottenham draw with Chelsea
- 3Ajax and PSV in final-day duel for Dutch title
- 4Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 5Woods misses Wells Fargo, says ‘no idea’ about tournament return
- 1Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 2Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 3Preview Champions League: Manchester City v Real Madrid
- 4Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
- 5The world’s greatest goalscorer – remembering Hungary’s Ferenc Puskas
Wires > Sport
- 14:14 CET Leicester cannot repeat their title glory – Ranieri
- 13:58 CET Flame lands in Brazil for 90-day relay to Games
- 13:53 CET Hiddink condemns Chelsea-Spurs post-match scuffle
- 13:43 CET Kosovo becomes member of UEFA, paves way for FIFA application
- 13:37 CET Leicester’s Thai owners vow to keep unlikely title-winners together
- 13:17 CET Cherries continue to turn red as salaries rise
- 13:14 CET Leicester’s Premier League fairytale makes papers worldwide
- 13:07 CET King’s Cup returns as co-sanctioned event in Thailand