A week after securing bronze at the European Judo Championships in Budapest Ebru Sahin of Turkey went two medals better to win gold in the under 48 kilo category on day one of the Judo Grand Slam in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Baku is the second of four marquee Grand Slam events this year and Sahin sounded the warning bells to her rivals for the rest of the season after beating Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh of Mongolia by ippon.
There was success for Mongolia over in the men’s competition as Samsun Grand Prix winner Amartuvshin Dashdavaa underlined his top seed status by winning the -60kg class.
Dashdavaa recovered from a sluggish start to beat Askhat Telmanov of Kazakhstan.
Despite falling behind early in the combat Dasdavaa hit back with two waza-aris to capture the gold medal by ippon.
Britain’s Ashley McKenzie just missed out on a place on the podium losing his bronze-medal match.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 18#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 06:45 CET Tomita still in Korea after paying fine for stealing camera
- 06:16 CET Bracewell returns to NZ test team for Pakistan series
- 01:48 CET Bishop airs lessons learned by U.S. in Cup loss
- 01:03 CET Sturridge won’t be fit for England, says Rodgers
- 00:30 CET Veteran Totti punishes sluggish City with landmark goal
- 00:16 CET Ajax pay the penalty as APOEL hold out for a draw
- 23:59 CET Matic silences boo boys as Chelsea win in Lisbon
- 23:53 CET Porto’s Jackson Martinez steals show at Shakhtar