04/05/13 18:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tens of thousands of pilgrims have visited the Old City of Jerusalem impatient to observe what the faithful see as the miracle of the ‘Holy Fire’ ceremony.
The event takes place on the eve of the Orthodox Church’s Easter when a lamp placed in the tomb of Jesus in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is mysteriously lit.
Immediately candles take up the flame and the ‘Holy Fire’ is rapidly passed among worshipers.
Traditionally, an olive lamp is also lit and transferred as soon as possible to the West Bank town of Bethlehem. The flame is then taken to other Christian cities and villages and flown out to Orthodox communities throughout the world.
At the heart of the ceremony is the belief that the ‘Holy Flame’ is lit through divine intervention in the form of a sun beam shining through the ceiling into the sacred Jerusalem Church.
- 1Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 5Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Wires > News
- 00:06 CET Vietnam restricted access to Facebook during Obama visit -…
- 23:33 CET Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms…
- 23:19 CET Guinea Bissau president names Baciro Dja as prime minister
- 22:03 CET U.N. envoy tells Security Council no Syria talks for 2-3 weeks
- 21:38 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 21:37 CET Chile’s students clash with police as protests intensify
- 20:56 CET Protester, police officer killed in Congo election protest – U.N.
- 20:26 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days