04/05/13 16:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A rallying call has gone out to all gun owners in the United States to stand strong against an unprecedented amount of criticism.
At the National Rifle Association’s annual convention in Texas – where all the latest in personal fire power is on sale – guest speakers said the demonising of all law-abiding gun owners because of violent acts committed by a few criminals had to stop.
Former Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin was among those urging NRA members to keep resisting gun control.
“The Washington establishment sneers at you, and you don’t give up. The mainstream media just doesn’t get you, and you don’t give up, you don’t retreat,” she said.
But some believe the NRA’s leadership is out of touch with the membership, particularly when they thwarted President Obama’s bid to impose background checks.
Erica Lafferty, daughter of the head teacher who died in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting offered some proof.
“The most recent polling that I’ve seen was that 74 per cent of NRA members do support the universal background check. It seems like it’s their leadership that’s kind of way more right than that and is really giving a lot of push back against it,” she claimed.
Since last year’s meeting, a national debate about gun laws sprang up after the December shooting at Sandy Hook school in Connecticut. In response the president is pushing for new gun control legislation. Those supporting the move are due to hold a rally at the convention later on Saturday.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term