President Barack Obama’s defence chief says America is reconsidering arming rebel fighters in Syria.
Chuck Hagel said this is only one of several options being considered by the US administration, and acknowledged it could lead to weapons falling into the hands of anti-American extremists such as the Nusra Front.
“These are options that must be considered with partners, with the international community, what is possible, what can help accomplish these objectives, “ he said.
This comes the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports that Forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad stormed the coastal village of Baida on Thursday.
The British based observatory said the final death toll expected to exceed 100.
State forces appear to have made substantial gains in recent weeks.
They have seized several suburbs outside Damascus and recaptured territory in Homs, the birthplace of the armed insurgency.
- 1Live coverage as first opinion poll gives Remain camp referendum boost
- 2A quiet afternoon at the cinema ends in terror in Germany
- 3Football is pants in Hungary
- 4US Supreme Court ruling means illegal immigrants with US born children will be deported
- 5Gunman shot by police after hostage drama in Germany
- 1What would Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Greece, Britain and Israel help fight massive forest fire in Cyprus
- 3EU referendum: Leave and Remain camps fight it out on TV
- 4South Africa: riots hit Pretoria after ANC imposes local mayor candidate
- 5Police break up fights between Polish football fans in Marseille
- 1Walking on water: Bulgarian artist Christo realises his dream
- 2What would Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Switzerland ends bid to join European Economic Area – after 24 years
- 4What do Europeans think of the UK’s ‘Brexit’ referendum?
- 5Greece, Britain and Israel help fight massive forest fire in Cyprus
Latest world news
US Supreme Court ruling means illegal immigrants with US born children will be deported
A quiet afternoon at the cinema ends in terror in Germany
Live coverage as first opinion poll gives Remain camp referendum boost
Tight security as thousands march across France
Colombia’s government and main rebel army sign historic ceasefire deal in Cuba
Wires > News
- 01:49 CET Boat migrant rescues surge as calm seas return to Mediterranean
- 01:23 CET Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign…
- 00:34 CET U.S. Navy mulls punishment for sailors seized by Iran
- 23:27 CET Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- 23:26 CET OAS chief blames Maduro government for Venezuela crisis
- 23:21 CET Three dead, two injured in Cyprus resort ‘gangland’ shootout
- 22:49 CET Gunman takes hostages in German cinema, is shot dead by police
- 22:33 CET Offensives against Islamic State could displace 2.3 million Iraqis…