Olympic 1,500 metres champion Asli Cakir Alptekin is facing a lifetime ban after being charged with a second anti-doping offence.
Cakir, who was given a two-year ban in 2004 after a positive dope test at the world junior championships, competed at the London Olympics last summer under a dark cloud of suspicion.
And following abnormal blood values from her biological passport is now facing an automatic lifetime ban.
Another Turkish athlete, double European 100m hurdles champion Nevin Yanit, also faces a ban after multiple positive findings in both in-competition and out-of-competiton tests.
Both athletes have been charged with anti-doping rule violations by the The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and are provisionally suspended.
Their cases have been referred to the Turkish federation for adjudication.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 03:48 CET Australia name strong squad for first World Cup qualifier
- 03:05 CET Record in sight for Europa League masters Sevilla
- 00:15 CET Montgomerie retains Senior PGA title by four shots
- 23:17 CET Manchester United decide against signing Falcao
- 22:58 CET Gerrard and Lampard bid farewell with goals
- 22:44 CET Berlusconi says still looking for an investor in AC Milan
- 22:23 CET Hull go down, Newcastle survive on final day of drama
- 20:59 CET Verstappen handed five place penalty for Canada