Georgia announced this week it will participate in the next year’s Winter Olympics in neighbouring Russia despite lingering resentment about the brief war between the countries almost five years ago.
Some members of President Mikhail Saakashvili’s party strongly backed a boycott of the Games but the Georgian National Olympic Committee on Thursday voted unanimously to take part.
Tamaz Tevzadze, the Georgian Deputy Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs said: “It (The decision) was not politicized. I found that the arguments presented here were connected only with the Olympic movement and were connected only with athletes who should participate in the Olympic Games.”
Russia and Georgia severed all diplomatic ties due to the Five-Day War that took place in August, 2008.
As a result of the brief conflict Georgia lost control of South Ossetia and parts of the other breakaway region of Abkhazia.
The latter is located just south of the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, host city for the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > Sport
- 01:20 CET Andy Murray plays with pups in sniffer-dog video
- 01:17 CET Caddie booted from U.S. Women’s Open for photos
- 01:00 CET Los Angeles stages raucous rally for U.S. women’s football team
- 00:04 CET Gerrard says he is not in Los Angeles for a holiday
- 22:51 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 22:50 CET Atletico sign Argentine forward Vietto from Villarreal
- 22:12 CET Cocktail of talent helps Muguruza reach semis
- 18:58 CET Wimbledon’s famous strawberries now come…as mush