Europe will remain mired in recession for the rest of this year, according to the latest EU forecasts.
The European Commission says the eurozone will shrink by 0.4 percent by the end of 2013., yet the EU executive’s economic chief remains upbeat.
“We will return to recovery in the second half of this year and on the condition that decisive policy action is taken in the member states and the european level it should have a more solid and sustainable recovery starting fro next year,” said Olli Rehn.
Austerity policies have been under fire from a number of EU leaders, as well as Nobel prize-winning economist Paul Krugman.
Now Brussels is softening its stance. It has given France and Spain an extra years to cut its deficit below the agreed three percent of GDP level
It is argued that slowing down the speed of spending cuts will bring back growth next year.
Those cuts have dampened consumer spending, leading to a knock-on effect in unemployment.
Forecasts suggest it will be as high 12.2 percent in the eurozone this year.
The Commission insists a structural overhaul of the European labour market is the best way to bring these numbers down, which should in turn get the economy going again.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news