02/05/13 20:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A row has erupted amid a long-running industrial dispute at Turkish Airlines – over the lipstick worn by female cabin crew.
The company wants to alter its dress code – it says in response to “complaints submitted by passengers”.
Critics argue the likes of red lipstick are effectively being banned.
Some secular Turks see it as part of a wider attempt to spread Islamic influence.
“Of course too many tacky colours can be banned because they can affect quality in a negative way and the company is entitled to come up with new rules, but (now) it’s objecting to the lipstick and nail polish that we have been using at Turkish airlines for years,” said former flight attendant Ozlem Altiok.
In February, photos of potential new outfits being considered by the airline were posted on the internet. The traditional look and long dresses were criticised by some for being too conservative.
The uniforms were not adopted.
Turkish Airlines has defended the new policy promoting “simple make-up” and a “natural look”.
The Turkish transport minister dodged the question when asked what he thought. “Red is a beautiful colour, the same colour as the national flag”, he replied.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
Ukraine and Russia clash again over gas pricing
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET U.S. using sex, money to infiltrate Iran, supreme leader says
- 21:50 CET Sarkozy battles far-right in French regional vote
- 21:33 CET Palestinian stabs Israeli soldier and is shot dead – army
- 21:33 CET Russia’s past and present collide at ceremony to honour former…
- 21:07 CET Russia and Turkey refuse to back down in row over jet downing
- 20:25 CET UK-made cruise missile used in deadly airstrike on Yemeni factory…
- 20:23 CET Paris attacks a reason Canada slowing Syria migrant flow, PM says
- 20:10 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military