Two months after his resignation Pope Emeritus Benedict is to move back into the Vatican.
Benedict whose former name was Joseph Ratzinger has been living in the papal summer residence of Castel Gandolfo since he became the first pope in modern history to abdicate. He’s been there while his apartment was being renovated.
His return could present problems for his successor Pope Francis as it will be the first time a reigning pope and a retired one will be living within the Vatican walls.
Some scholars worry that if Francis undoes some of his predecessor’s policies while he is still alive, the former pope could become a catalyst for conservatives and split the Church.
However, the former pope has admitted he is in failing health and has promised to live quietly in retirement and not interfere.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
Wires > News
- 02:24 CET Expanded Panama Canal – Bigger ships, bigger paydays for beans…
- 00:44 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 22:42 CET Colombia to offer tax breaks for development under peace deal
- 21:00 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 20:40 CET South Sudan forces, armed groups clash, displacing civilians – U.N
- 20:15 CET Belgium arrests two over ‘terrorist’ activity
- 19:58 CET Nine drown when boat capsizes in Kenya
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea