Two months after his resignation Pope Emeritus Benedict is to move back into the Vatican.
Benedict whose former name was Joseph Ratzinger has been living in the papal summer residence of Castel Gandolfo since he became the first pope in modern history to abdicate. He’s been there while his apartment was being renovated.
His return could present problems for his successor Pope Francis as it will be the first time a reigning pope and a retired one will be living within the Vatican walls.
Some scholars worry that if Francis undoes some of his predecessor’s policies while he is still alive, the former pope could become a catalyst for conservatives and split the Church.
However, the former pope has admitted he is in failing health and has promised to live quietly in retirement and not interfere.
Latest world news
Rescuers publish image of drowned migrant baby
Turkey: Muslim families should forget birth control says Erdogan
Libya migrant route does roaring trade in absence of authority
Great Barrier Reef bleaching kills ’35% of coral’ in northern and central section
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
Wires > News
- 17:03 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 16:36 CET Big cats removed from Thailand’s infamous Tiger Temple
- 16:35 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:20 CET Bodies of U.S. climbers left on Tibetan peak out of respect
- 16:16 CET Mauritius ramps up security after gunshots fired on French embassy
- 15:53 CET Former Chad president Habre found guilty of crimes against humanity
- 15:49 CET Four people killed in flooding and storms in southwestern Germany