Two months after his resignation Pope Emeritus Benedict is to move back into the Vatican.
Benedict whose former name was Joseph Ratzinger has been living in the papal summer residence of Castel Gandolfo since he became the first pope in modern history to abdicate. He’s been there while his apartment was being renovated.
His return could present problems for his successor Pope Francis as it will be the first time a reigning pope and a retired one will be living within the Vatican walls.
Some scholars worry that if Francis undoes some of his predecessor’s policies while he is still alive, the former pope could become a catalyst for conservatives and split the Church.
However, the former pope has admitted he is in failing health and has promised to live quietly in retirement and not interfere.
Latest world news
13 feared dead after helicopter crash near Bergen, Norway
Angry protest outside Trump rally in California
‘A new game, a final’: UEFA’s Platini makes last appeal against six-year ban
Unrest and arrests in Paris over labour reforms
North Korea: US citizen given 10 years of hard labour for spying
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET South African court orders review of decision to drop Zuma charges
- 13:35 CET Helicopter crashes off Norwegian coast
- 13:12 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 12:58 CET EU executive opposes call for easier suspension of visa-free travel
- 12:23 CET Shelling and air strikes resume in Aleppo
- 12:12 CET Helmet cam footage shows Islamic State in battlefield chaos
- 12:03 CET Trump praises Sanders but may struggle to win over his voters
- 11:53 CET Russian foreign ministry summons Polish ambassador