Healthcare related infections are one of the most pressing issues facing health services today.
Many thousands of patients die every year across Europe and the United States as a result of illnesses picked up in hospital.
Hospital hygiene needs to be improved if the problem is to be solved.
American researchers at the Houston Technology Center have fashioned a robot called Xenex that eradicates germs with blasts of light.
The machine follows a cleaning routine of strobe-like pulses. The flashes are a type of ultraviolet light that sterilises and kills microbiological contaminants.
Dr. Marsia Montecalvo from the Westchester Medical Center says the device has has a positive impact: “We’ve seen a steady decline and we have to attribute at least part of that to the UV disinfections.”
According to researchers a hospital of around 120 beds will need two robots to clean the space.
At a cost of 70,000 euros each cleanliness does not come cheap, but on the plus side there will be fewer unnecessary deaths and less people occupying beds for the treatment of illnesses picked up in hospital.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast