02/05/13 11:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A five-year-old boy in the southern US state of Kentucky has accidentally shot dead his two-year-old sister at the family home.
He had received the rifle, specially made for children, as a gift last year.
Reports say the weapon had been kept in a corner and the family had not realised it still contained a bullet.
The tragedy happened in Cumberland County – a rural area where it is common for children to own guns for hunting and target practice.
“The whole community is absolutely devastated from this. You know, I hope the outcome of this, you know, what we can learn from this tragic situation is, you know, is gun safety,” said Cumberland County Coroner, Gary White.
US gun manufacturers market weapons for children specifically. The company which makes the gun involved in the accidental shooting has a “kids’ corner” on its website with the slogan “my first rifle”. There are photos of young girls firing pink guns.
The shooting has highlighted the cultural divide in the US over guns. The American countryside has seen little of the recent efforts in cities and suburban areas to curb gun use and tighten regulations on ownership.
“It’s a normal way of life. I mean, folks – and it’s not just rural Kentucky, it’s rural America. I mean folks hunting and fishing, it’s sports shooting – it’s just a way of life. You know, you begin at an early age, learning to use and respect a gun,” said Joe Phelps, Cumberland County Judge Executive, whose position has been described as similar to that of a local mayor.
President Obama’s proposed gun control measures after the Newtown school shooting have largely failed so far in Congress.
Although several states have tightened laws, safety campaigners say ten states have actually eased gun controls. One of them is Kentucky.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group
- 19:59 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 19:35 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 19:33 CET Suspect named in rampage at Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks
- 17:42 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey
- 17:17 CET Boko Haram claims responsibility for Kano suicide bomb – SITE