01/05/13 16:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands of people have marched through Athens in a May Day protest against austerity. It coincided with a 24-hour general strike in Greece.
Communist party supporters converged on Syntagma Square, scene of violent clashes between police and demonstrators during previous protests.
The opposition Syriza party was also out in force – although overall turnout was lower than last year when 100,000 marched in the city centre.
Waves of belt-tightening measures have helped secure almost another nine billion euros in bailout money, but Syriza’s leader is not impressed.
“The economy will not be revived by the bankrupt banking empire or the corrupt political system. Working people will revive it with their struggle,” Alexis Tsipras said.
Public transport and other services shut down for the day, although the Athens metro was up and running again after three hours.
But not for the first time visitors were surprised to find the main tourist sites such as the Acropolis closed.
In the words of one American tourist, Charles Davenport from Washington:
“(The German Chancellor) Merkel has conquered Greece and these are the consequences! So here we are, and we probably won’t have the opportunity to see it again, so we are disappointed. It’s one of those things.”
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq