01/05/13 18:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
International Workers’ Day in Spain came the week after the revelation that record numbers of Spaniards are out of work. Some 80 towns and cities in Spain have seen demonstrations, with large protests in Madrid, Barcelona and Bilbao.
The unemployment rate has hit 27 percent – 57 percent among young people – 6.2 million in all.
Unusually, the two main Spanish unions CCOO and UGT have joined forces to demand a new deal – in other words, a change of economic policy.
Austerity measures imposed by European institutions, they say, have been a ‘total failure’.
“With six million jobless in this country and the prospect that number’s going to grow, you think we don’t have to take to the streets?” asked one protester in Madrid.
“It’s happening every day, they’re taking everything away from us, in the end we’ll have no rights at all. Everything that’s been fought for 40 years will be taken away in four,” said another.
Last week the government said it had negotiated a two year delay with Brussels to bring the deficit under control, in order to avoid further austerity measures.
Unemployment is not expected to fall below 25 percent before 2016.
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 16:52 CET Rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at least 12 dead
- 16:26 CET Air strikes pound Syria’s Aleppo, ‘calm’ farther southwest
- 15:39 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 15:37 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 15:20 CET Germany to ask European Commission to allow extension of border…
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic