Police in Italy have arrested six men they suspect of planning terrorist attacks.
Arrest warrants were issued for the Muslim men, who are accused of targeting the US as well as Italy.
Two men are believed to have escaped to Tunisia.
Police say they found jihadist training videos connected to the men, who were located in Lombardy, Sicily and Puglia as well as Belgium.
“Due to their important international contacts and to the kind of indoctrination they received, we’re sure they would have been able to carry out an attack,” said Mario Parente, General Head of ROS, a special operations group that is part of Italy’s carabinieri police force.
The suspects are accused of conspiracy to commit international terrorism and inciting racial hatred.
Police said the suspects were also setting up training camps in order to prepare for attacks in war zones.
The arrests are part of an operation against a cell in Andria in southern Italy.
Wires > News
- 20:07 CET Drowned baby picture captures week of tragedy in Mediterranean
- 20:06 CET White House placed on partial security lockdown – official
- 19:32 CET Libyan oil guard says captures coastal town from Islamic State…
- 19:31 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 19:25 CET Chad’s ex-leader Habre, Cold War-era ally of West, gets life in…
- 18:56 CET Syrian opposition to decide new negotiating team next week after…
- 18:53 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control