Police in Italy have arrested six men they suspect of planning terrorist attacks.
Arrest warrants were issued for the Muslim men, who are accused of targeting the US as well as Italy.
Two men are believed to have escaped to Tunisia.
Police say they found jihadist training videos connected to the men, who were located in Lombardy, Sicily and Puglia as well as Belgium.
“Due to their important international contacts and to the kind of indoctrination they received, we’re sure they would have been able to carry out an attack,” said Mario Parente, General Head of ROS, a special operations group that is part of Italy’s carabinieri police force.
The suspects are accused of conspiracy to commit international terrorism and inciting racial hatred.
Police said the suspects were also setting up training camps in order to prepare for attacks in war zones.
The arrests are part of an operation against a cell in Andria in southern Italy.
Wires > News
- 02:00 CET Singapore set to pick military helicopters as arms spending rises
- 01:31 CET Australia PM Turnbull confirms will call election for July 2
- 01:15 CET Brazil prosecutor asks Supreme Court to investigate Lula
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system