After nearly two weeks in hospital, a five year old girl raped in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh has died of her injuries.
The victim had been in a coma since April, 20 after her attackers attempted to suffocate her.
She suffered a heart attack and passed away on Monday night.
The young girl is believed to have been lured to a farm while her parents were working and raped by one of their friends.
“The law should give him the harshest punishment. He should be burnt alive so the entire world can see how such a criminal should be punished and that would make criminals shake in fear,” said the dead girl’s mother.
Police have arrested two men in connection with the attack.
This is one of three high profile cases involving the rape of girls in India aged between four and six.
Latest world news
Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
South African court paves way for Zuma to face renewed corruption charges
13 feared dead after helicopter crash near Bergen, Norway
Angry protest outside Trump rally in California
‘A new game, a final’: UEFA’s Platini makes last appeal against six-year ban
Wires > News
- 15:32 CET 11 people found dead in Norway helicopter crash
- 15:27 CET Paris police arrest 27 after overnight violence
- 15:13 CET Fire breaks out on old Russian nuclear sub, now extinguished…
- 15:10 CET Finnish NATO membership would lead to crisis with Russia -…
- 14:57 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 strikes against Islamic State – …
- 14:55 CET Syria calls local truces; U.N. condemns ‘monstrous disregard’ for…
- 14:51 CET Biden gets papal blessing for his global war on cancer
- 14:34 CET Italy struggles to house migrants in third year of mass arrivals