After nearly two weeks in hospital, a five year old girl raped in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh has died of her injuries.
The victim had been in a coma since April, 20 after her attackers attempted to suffocate her.
She suffered a heart attack and passed away on Monday night.
The young girl is believed to have been lured to a farm while her parents were working and raped by one of their friends.
“The law should give him the harshest punishment. He should be burnt alive so the entire world can see how such a criminal should be punished and that would make criminals shake in fear,” said the dead girl’s mother.
Police have arrested two men in connection with the attack.
This is one of three high profile cases involving the rape of girls in India aged between four and six.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Political pressure grows in post Brexit Britain
US Supreme Court strikes down Texas law imposing strict regulations on abortion
Belgium deploys F16s in fight against ISIL
Ex-Moldovan PM is jailed for nine years for abuse of power
Flight recorder of crashed EgyptAir flight is repaired
Wires > News
- 04:09 CET Empty houses and jobless maids – Indonesia’s expat exodus gathers…
- 01:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to downgrade Myanmar in annual human trafficking…
- 01:18 CET Insight – Pakistan’s new military courts challenged over abuse…
- 01:14 CET Japan revamps child welfare, but tens of thousands still…
- 01:11 CET Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- 00:58 CET Turkey mends fences with Israel, Russia in foreign policy reset
- 00:21 CET Iraqi army closes in on Islamic State militants near Falluja
- 00:02 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake shakes southern Mexico, no damage reported