After nearly two weeks in hospital, a five year old girl raped in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh has died of her injuries.
The victim had been in a coma since April, 20 after her attackers attempted to suffocate her.
She suffered a heart attack and passed away on Monday night.
The young girl is believed to have been lured to a farm while her parents were working and raped by one of their friends.
“The law should give him the harshest punishment. He should be burnt alive so the entire world can see how such a criminal should be punished and that would make criminals shake in fear,” said the dead girl’s mother.
Police have arrested two men in connection with the attack.
This is one of three high profile cases involving the rape of girls in India aged between four and six.
Wires > News
- 09:28 CET Poland to appeal court decision not to extradite Polanski to U.S.
- 09:27 CET Two with Thai army links found guilty of attack on gold mine…
- 09:06 CET Japan erupts in anger over boy abandoned in forest after being…
- 09:00 CET Exclusive: Westinghouse to get new site for Indian nuclear plant -…
- 08:51 CET Spanish police arrest man accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 08:42 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23 – monitor
- 08:32 CET Hamas executes three convicted Palestinians in Gaza
- 08:24 CET Huge fire breaks out in Indian arms depot, 17 feared dead