After nearly two weeks in hospital, a five year old girl raped in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh has died of her injuries.
The victim had been in a coma since April, 20 after her attackers attempted to suffocate her.
She suffered a heart attack and passed away on Monday night.
The young girl is believed to have been lured to a farm while her parents were working and raped by one of their friends.
“The law should give him the harshest punishment. He should be burnt alive so the entire world can see how such a criminal should be punished and that would make criminals shake in fear,” said the dead girl’s mother.
Police have arrested two men in connection with the attack.
This is one of three high profile cases involving the rape of girls in India aged between four and six.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
- 5France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Tunisia: Deadly bus blast kills at least 12
All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
Obama and Hollande call for greater cooperation against ISIL
Wires > News
- 02:58 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 02:04 CET Report says combination of errors led to U.S. bombing of …
- 01:49 CET No explosives found in U.S.-bound parcels at Cairo airport – DHL
- 00:33 CET Argentine president-elect picks U.N. insider as his top diplomat
- 00:24 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12
- 00:13 CET Canada pushes back deadline for accepting 25,000 Syrian refugees
- 00:03 CET Pope in Africa will seek to bridge Christian-Muslim faultlines
- 23:18 CET Hostages in northern French town safe, no link to Paris attacks