Krasnodar Krai is famous for its outdoors routes: hikers and bikers enjoy the diversity of its picturesque landscapes, with snow-covered mountains and wide valleys, canyons and caves, mineral springs and waterfalls. We came there to meet a team of local adventurers, all in their 20s, who knew the area and were willing to show us to some of their favourite locations.
We weren’t disappointed. A two hour-long drive from Krasnodar, the region capital, brings you to the foothills of the mountains popular among climbers. As one would expect, that’s quite a widespread hobby amongst local youth, even though Alexey, our experienced guide in his home lands, told us about many tragic accidents that happened in the Caucasus mountains and elsewhere in the world with climbers he knew.
Alexey is a good illustration for Russia’s rediscovered craving for exploration. Two years ago he participated in the “Fire ring of the Earth” scientific and sports expedition that run along the volcanic ring of land encompassing the globe – members of the team conquered many volcanoes on their feet and their bicycles.
There are no big volcanoes in the Krasnodar Region, but Alexey says he still prefers it to foreign sites – not just because it’s the home, but also because of the rich diversity of landscapes concentrated in this part of Russia. It’s a paradise for a mountain biker, hiker, climber or rafter – Alexey is all of the above, and more.
Locals hope that the upcoming Sochi Olympics will spread the knowledge about their region abroad, opening its magnificent scenery to the world.
Denis Loctier, Krasnodar
- 1Stars and gondolas, Venice Film Festivals opens on top of the world
- 2Redford and Nolte take a hike in A Walk in the Woods
- 3Traditional music festival fills Samarkand with oriental melodies
- 4Derbent celebrates 2,000 years of history and multiculturalism
- 5Culture by the Black Sea at Bulgaria’s Apollonia festival
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid