The authorities in Iraq say at least 11 people have been killed in three car bomb attacks on busy markets in southern provinces.
At least nine died and 40 were hurt in two explosions in Amara 300 kilometres south of Baghdad, while two were killed and 27 injured in the town of Diywaniya.
Nearly 200 people have been killed in sectarian violence over the past week. Five people died in this attack on Friday in the Shi’ite stronghold of Sadr City.
Earlier in the week security forces stormed a Sunni protest camp near Kirkuk, provoking clashes in other Sunni areas in the west and the north.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the latest attacks. But car and suicide bombings are the hallmarks of al-Qaeda’s Iraqi wing.
Inter-communal tension has risen as Iraq feels the impact of the civil war in neighbouring Syria.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
St John of God religious order wins Princess of Asturias Concord Award
At least 17 Turks abducted in Habibiya, Iraq
Hungary reinforces border with Serbia at ‘anti-migrant’ fence
Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
Wires > News
- 15:03 CET Russia says will respond in kind to new U.S. sanctions over Ukraine
- 14:59 CET Car bomb in coastal stronghold of Syria’s Assad kills at least 10…
- 14:50 CET Netanyahu threatens to shoot young Palestinian stone-throwers
- 14:47 CET Labour appointment puts French women ministers in majority
- 13:55 CET Hundreds of migrants on tracks at Calais block trains to UK
- 13:13 CET Congo militia leader pleads ‘Not guilty’ as ICC trial opens
- 13:08 CET Red Cross says two staff members shot dead in northern Yemen
- 12:11 CET Hundreds of migrants protest at Budapest station, want to go to…