The newly-formed Italian cabinet has faced its first political test. The lower house of the Italian parliament – the Chamber of Deputies – voted in favour of Enrico Letta’s team of 21 ministers by an overwhelming majority.
The cabinet goes up against the upper house of the Senate for a second, final confidence vote on Tuesday.
Letta has vowed to maintain Rome’s financial commitments with its EU partners and announced visits to Brussels, Paris and Berlin this week.
The cabinet was sworn in on Sunday with a record seven women, including Emma Bonino, the country’s first ever female foreign minister and Cecile Kyenge, the first black female minister. It ended two months of political deadlock and Italy’s cost of borrowing has already dropped.
But Letta faces the stern task of presiding over a coalition of the country’s main left and right-wing parties, whilst negotiating difficult reforms and controlling the public finances.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 16:19 CET Young Afghan Messi fan flees over kidnap fears
- 16:00 CET Canadian ordered out of Nepal after criticising government on…
- 15:49 CET Fatal helicopter crash off Norway due technical error -…
- 15:43 CET Rebel rockets kill 19 in Aleppo, hit hospital – monitor
- 15:43 CET German comedian says Merkel ‘served me up for tea’ to Turkey
- 15:31 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 15:11 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 15:01 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself