Five men have been convicted by an EU-led court in Kosovo for organ trafficking.
Urologist Lutfi Dervishi and his son Arban, were sentenced to eight and seven years respectively, whilst the remaining three received between one and three years imprisonment. Two were acquitted, including the former health minister and two other accused remain at large.
“Although there remain many hurdles to overcome to bring satisfactory justice to the vulnerable victims in this case, such as compensation and international arrest of outstanding suspects. Let’s hope that today’s verdict and judgment will be viewed as bringing justice and security to the victims in this matter,” explained EU special prosecutor in Kosovo, Jonathan Ratel.
Over 23 illegal kidney transplants were performed at the Medicus clinic in the capital Pristina in 2008. The centre was closed down following the scandal.
The ring was exposed when a Turkish man was stopped at the airport visibly in pain after having his kidney removed.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Consternation at Austrian case of Nazi camp survivors called ‘a…
- 22:01 CET U.N. Security Council members push Russia to stop Aleppo bombing
- 21:58 CET U.S. says political crisis building in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 21:48 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina dropping White House bids
- 21:23 CET Congo opposition calls for general strike to make Kabila stand down
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…