Preparations are almost complete for Tuesday’s abdication and investiture ceremonies in which Willem-Alexander will succeed his mother Queen Beatrix and become the first Dutch king in more than 120 years.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte has described it as an “historic day for the country,” with one of the highlights being a cruise along the city’s waterways for the new king and his family.
“They will be surrounded both on and alongside the water by the best the Netherlands has to offer. From historic ships to a joint performance by the royal concert orchestra and DJ Armin van Buuren. It will be a feast for your eyes and ears,” announced Prime Minister Rutte.
Of course souvenir shops are selling everything in all sorts of styles and around a million people are expected to pack into Amsterdam’s narrow streets.
But those with the best view will be the invited guests such as Britain’s Prince Charles and Camilla. With numerous VIPs expected the city is determined to be at its right royal best.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:29 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:27 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, three feared dead
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM