After two months of political wrangling, newly-appointed Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta has formed a new cabinet.
He brings together his own Democratic Party members and opposition members from former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right People of Freedom Party.
Letta was in upbeat mood about the team. Speaking at a press conference, he said:
“It’s a team of ministers that is very competent, that is young, and also includes a record number of women, for me that is one of the greatest satisfactions.”
Letta was charged with bringing together a cohesive government by President Giorgio Napolitano, who himself was only inaugurated about a week ago.
In a sign that Letta is willing to build on his reputation as a bridge-builder, Angelino Alfano from People of Freedom party was appointed Deputy Prime Minister.
Fabrizio Saccomanni, the Italian Central Bank’s experienced director-general will head up the powerful Economy Ministry.
And the post of Justice Minister went to Anna Maria Cancellieri, a member of the outgoing Prime Minister Mario Monti’s government.
Emma Bonino wins the Foreign Minister post. She’s a former member of the European Parliament and and a leading member of the independent Italian Radicals Party.
But there was no room for Beppe Grillo, the popular comedian who stood in the general election under his anti-establishment Five Star Movement.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 3All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 4Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 5Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli officer in Jerusalem
Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
Sand sculptures stun beach-goers in Florida Keys
Monarch butterflies make annual migration to Mexico
Wires > News
- 14:50 CET Syria’s Assad says his enemies increasing support for insurgents
- 14:34 CET EU seeks Turkish help to slow migrants for cash, EU membership…
- 14:07 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…
- 13:34 CET Paris attacks a risk for recovery in Italy – minister tells…
- 13:31 CET Ukraine tightens control over foreign charter flights
- 13:14 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 13:02 CET World climate rallies put pressure on Paris summit to act