Ukrainians have begun marking the 27th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster with a midnight vigil.
Thousands of people arrived to pay their respects to those who were killed during and after the meltdown.
Thirty people were killed immediately when the nuclear reactor exploded on April 26 1986.
To seal off the damaged reactor and clean up the area, 100,000 Russians were sent to Chernobyl, but it was reported their protective suits were inadequate and some of them received a lethal dose of radiation.
According to Ukrainian government figures more than 4,000 of those who took part in the Soviet clean-up operation died as a result, though some say the actual figure is much higher.
The blast resulted in radioactivity being spread right across Europe. A lethal radioactive cloud poisoned 150,000 square kilometres of Ukraine and neighbouring Belarus.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal