David Luiz scored four minutes into injury time to hand Chelsea a 2-1 win over Basel in the the first leg of their Europa League semi-final on Thursday evening in Switzerland.
Victor Moses opened up the scoring on 12 minutes only for his goal to be cancelled out on the 87th minute when Fabian Schar scored from the spot after Cesar Azpilicueta foul on Valentin Stocker.
But in a thrilling end to the game Luiz’s low free-kick went straight through the Basel wall and past Yann Sommer for the win.
Fenerbache meanwhile beat Benfica one nil in Turkey in the other semi to have the slight upper hand for the return leg next week. Egeman Korkmaz headed home the winner on 72 minutes.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 11Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 18:22 CET Farah says he is 100 percent clean
- 18:21 CET Nadal fires early warning to the big guns
- 18:01 CET CONCACAF retains Alvarez & Marsal in wake of FIFA scandal
- 17:57 CET Umbrellas up at Wimbledon – to keep the sun off
- 17:56 CET Alonso faces another engine change at Silverstone
- 17:26 CET Olympiakos Champions League spot safe for now
- 17:01 CET Nervous Kvitova begins defence in brutal style
- 16:50 CET F1 strategy meeting must be decisive, says Horner