David Luiz scored four minutes into injury time to hand Chelsea a 2-1 win over Basel in the the first leg of their Europa League semi-final on Thursday evening in Switzerland.
Victor Moses opened up the scoring on 12 minutes only for his goal to be cancelled out on the 87th minute when Fabian Schar scored from the spot after Cesar Azpilicueta foul on Valentin Stocker.
But in a thrilling end to the game Luiz’s low free-kick went straight through the Basel wall and past Yann Sommer for the win.
Fenerbache meanwhile beat Benfica one nil in Turkey in the other semi to have the slight upper hand for the return leg next week. Egeman Korkmaz headed home the winner on 72 minutes.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > Sport
- 00:16 CET Argentina centre Bosch ruled out of quarter-final
- 23:53 CET Turkey claim Euro 2016 spot as best third-placed team
- 23:49 CET Croatia reach Euro 2016 with 1-0 win in Malta
- 23:35 CET Dutch fail to qualify for Euro 2016 as Czechs top group
- 23:29 CET Norway blow chance to qualify directly for Euro 2016
- 23:10 CET Bosnia win thriller in Nicosia to make playoffs
- 23:07 CET Ramsey and Bale goals give Wales winning send-off
- 22:38 CET Netherlands fail to qualify for Euro 2016