David Luiz scored four minutes into injury time to hand Chelsea a 2-1 win over Basel in the the first leg of their Europa League semi-final on Thursday evening in Switzerland.
Victor Moses opened up the scoring on 12 minutes only for his goal to be cancelled out on the 87th minute when Fabian Schar scored from the spot after Cesar Azpilicueta foul on Valentin Stocker.
But in a thrilling end to the game Luiz’s low free-kick went straight through the Basel wall and past Yann Sommer for the win.
Fenerbache meanwhile beat Benfica one nil in Turkey in the other semi to have the slight upper hand for the return leg next week. Egeman Korkmaz headed home the winner on 72 minutes.
Wires > Sport
- 00:02 CET Wales winger North suffers another head injury
- 23:44 CET Kane scores on debut as England thrash Lithuania
- 23:27 CET Montenegro v Russia abandoned after crowd trouble, players clash
- 23:26 CET Bizarre Ibrahimovic header puts Sweden on course for Moldova win
- 23:12 CET Slovakia ease past Luxembourg to remain Group C leaders
- 23:02 CET Alaba misses penalty, scores as Austria win 5-0
- 22:27 CET Murray advances without worry against Young
- 19:28 CET MotoGP sees Qatar as key to Middle East