With broadcasting rights sales on the up, global chart-topping match attendances and the lure of playing against some of football’s biggest and rising stars, the Bundesliga is experiencing somewhat of a boom.
And many believe it is down to the massive investment in the league’s youth academies.
With more than 700 million euros pumped into youth work over the last decade German football is now cashing in as these programmes have gradually fed Bundesliga clubs with more than half of their squad members.
Sports Director of the German FA Robin Dutt says: “I think the main reason is that, in 2000, Bundesliga clubs were asked to create centres for trainees and the clubs are doing outstanding work with a very good technical and tactical education. The results were first visible at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. The clubs followed suit over the past few years with their professional teams.’‘
Four years later at the World Cup in South African Germany fielded its youngest squad in 76 years en route to a third place finish.
Nineteen of that 23-man squad went through the academy system and German football’s governing body believes that encouraging the young at grass roots level is key to future success.
Christine Lehmann of the German FA said: “Our area is our clubs across Germany. Every professional player once started in a small club, every one of them. And that’s where the basis is for football.”
On a club level the German model has paid dividends but will it pay off in Brazil next year when the national side will look end their 24-year World cup title drought. Only time will tell.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hope Sole suspended from US women’s soccer team for ‘incident’
- 2Brazilian pro-surfer Ricardo dos Santos shot dead off-duty police officer detained
- 3Odegaard to join Real Madrid
- 4Vonn the bomb defies gravity and serious injury to equal the record of World Cup wins
- 5‘The Corner’s’ take on the Asian Cup, Turkish corruption and Landon Donovan
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 13:05 CET Comeback kid Nadal seeks to maintain Berdych domination
- 13:02 CET Transfer talk won’t distract Dortmund says Hummels
- 12:52 CET Lampard, Terry turned my career around – Drogba
- 12:16 CET South Korea beat Iraq 2-0 to reach Asian Cup final
- 11:57 CET No room for romance in ‘pointless’ Coppa Italia
- 11:47 CET Evergreen Venus upsets Radwanska in Melbourne
- 11:44 CET Abdulrahman fit for Asian Cup semi-final, says UAE coach
- 11:31 CET Nishikori enjoys low profile in Florida, food in Japan