With broadcasting rights sales on the up, global chart-topping match attendances and the lure of playing against some of football’s biggest and rising stars, the Bundesliga is experiencing somewhat of a boom.
And many believe it is down to the massive investment in the league’s youth academies.
With more than 700 million euros pumped into youth work over the last decade German football is now cashing in as these programmes have gradually fed Bundesliga clubs with more than half of their squad members.
Sports Director of the German FA Robin Dutt says: “I think the main reason is that, in 2000, Bundesliga clubs were asked to create centres for trainees and the clubs are doing outstanding work with a very good technical and tactical education. The results were first visible at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. The clubs followed suit over the past few years with their professional teams.’‘
Four years later at the World Cup in South African Germany fielded its youngest squad in 76 years en route to a third place finish.
Nineteen of that 23-man squad went through the academy system and German football’s governing body believes that encouraging the young at grass roots level is key to future success.
Christine Lehmann of the German FA said: “Our area is our clubs across Germany. Every professional player once started in a small club, every one of them. And that’s where the basis is for football.”
On a club level the German model has paid dividends but will it pay off in Brazil next year when the national side will look end their 24-year World cup title drought. Only time will tell.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1McLaren medics rule Alonso out of F1 season opener in Melbourne
- 2Mountain bike: Polc wins Valparaiso downhill
- 3Dortmund continue Bundesliga revival as PSV stumble in the Dutch title race
- 4Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a minor
- 5Commission uncovers systematic doping in German football dating back to the 70’s and 80’s
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 12Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:41 CET Warner, Maxwell power Australia to World Cup record total
- 11:27 CET Shehzad leads Pakistan to morale-boosting win
- 09:42 CET Kohli faces media backlash following reporter spat
- 07:10 CET Beach-combing Scots back themselves against Bangladesh
- 07:04 CET England likely to lose Ballance in search of equilibrium
- 06:42 CET USA Swimming may let Phelps race at world championships
- 01:25 CET Austin to host Match Play Championship from 2016-19
- 00:31 CET Olympiakos chief Marinakis fines players for poor displays