Yesterday the third-shortest partial lunar eclipse of the 21st century was visible.
The Earth’s dark shadow – known as the umbra – barely clipped the full moon causing a partial lunar eclipse, which lasted no longer than 27 minutes. It was visible in most parts of the Earth, except South and North America.
Later this year there will be two more partial lunar eclipses and on April 15 2014, a total lunar eclipse is expected.
Why and when do lunar eclipses happen?
A lunar eclipse only occurs when there is a full moon and when the moon lies opposite the sun in the Earth’s sky.
A total lunar eclipse happens when the Earth moves in between the moon and sun, causing the Earth’s dark shadow to completely cover the moon’s surface.
The Earth’s shadow has two parts: a dark inner umbra and lighter surrounding penumbra.
Watch the video
A partial lunar eclipse happens when only part of the moon is covered by the Earth’s dark shadow.
Watch the video
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Wires > News
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…