Spanish police have arrested two men with suspected links to al Qaeda in the Maghreb.
Spain’s Interior Ministry alleges both men were radicalised by visiting online forums and chat rooms and pulling information on bomb-making from the Internet.
The men, one from Algeria, the other from Morocco, were arrested separately in Zaragoza and Murcia.
Spanish Interior Minister Jorge Fernández Díaz praised the work of the security forces: “If you add these two, there have been 13 arrests over the last few months, which shows that the intelligence and state security services are working efficiently with others, because the threat is global. The threat is no higher in Spain.”
The Spanish said they worked with their counterparts in France and Morocco to make the arrests.
The men had been under surveillance for more than a year.
The arrests come ahead of the Madrid Marathon, which takes place on Sunday. Around 26,000 runners are due to participate and security has been increased following the attack on the Boston Marathon.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus